The Benefits of Psychoanalytic Training at the San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis
- Training that places the deeper development of clinical skill-sets and talents at its center, especially with regard to sensitivity to transference and countertransference, themes operating beyond awareness, and tactfulness in making effective interventions.
- An academic environment in which theoretical diversity is mutually appreciated, yet with the continuing invigoration of discussion and spirited debate.
- Three program tracks: full training in adult psychoanalysis; full training in child and adolescent psychoanalysis; partial training for qualified academics. The Child Analysis Program is the only one of its kind in Northern California for training in the psychoanalysis of children.
- Clinical and theoretical training especially deepened through the aid of experienced child analysts.
- A graduate teaching faculty further enriched by analysts with backgrounds in philosophy, law, literature, sociology, development and attachment research, and empirical research in the clinical process.
- Visiting Professorships that allow concentrated and exciting focus on contemporary issues in psychoanalysis by those at the leading edge. We have hosted such visiting professors as Antonino Ferro, Ronald Britton, Betty Joseph, Anne Alvarez, Dale Boesky and Roy Schafer.
- A program that offers study of work presented by experts in other fields. Topics have included psychoanalysis and film, Shakespeare, Construction of Memory, and music and psychoanalysis.
- An opportunity to join a community network of like-minded professionals and dependable referral sources.
- An opportunity to become part a stimulating clinical and intellectual community, continued after graduation in a wide variety of psychoanalytic programs and study groups.
- A library with the largest collection of psychoanalytic publications in the Western United States.
Adult Psychoanalytic Training Program
- Personal Analysis;
- Four years of seminars; Three years of a Continuous Case Conference while in supervision, Preceptorship Seminar in 5th year;
- An intensive experience in conducting at least three supervised Psychoanalyses.
Further information can be found in the Adult Psychoanalytic Curriculum and the Psychoanalytic Education Division Policies and Procedures Manual.
Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Training
SFCP also offers training in Child and Adolescent Psychoanalysis which can be done either in combination with Adult Psychoanalytic Training or separately as a Child and Adolescent Psychoanalyst. The Child Analysis Program is the only one of its kind in Northern California for training in the psychoanalysis of children.