Since its formation seventy years ago by American and European analysts, the SFCP has been an able and avant-garde member organization of the American and International Psychoanalytic Associations. As it has undergone continuing self-study and evolution in each decade, it now arrives in the 21st Century as a model for contemporary psychoanalytic training — offering a full vision of educational development for psychoanalysts-to-be.
A program that rests on the traditional three pillars of psychoanalytic education: seminars in clinical work and theory, supervision of analytic cases, and personal psychoanalysis, to which we add a fourth pillar — the serious cultivation of critical thinking with a focus on evidence and logical coherence.
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Training
Extension Education / Other Programs
- Dialogues in Contemporary Psychoanalysis
- Scientific Meetings
- Child Colloquium Series
- San Francisco Psychotherapy Forum
- East Bay Psychotherapy Forum
- South Bay Psychotherapy Forums
- Opera on the Couch
- Poetry and Psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalytic Grand Rounds at Stanford
- San Francisco Psychoanalytic Student Seminars
- Theory Forums
- Peninsula Psychoanalytic Student Seminars
- Outreach Programs
- President's Message, by Robin Deutsch, PhD, Michael Donner, PhD
- In Memorium, by James Storm, MD
- News from the Palo Alto Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Training Program, by Ann Martini, LCSW
- News from the Membership Services Committee, by Meryl Botkin, PhD
- IPA web site's Debate, "New Families: What Psychoanalysis has to say about them", by Mali Mann, MD
- Commentary on Blue Jasmine, a film by Woody Allen, by Sandra Salatich, PsyD
- SFCP Library News, by Alyson Barrett-Ryan, MA, MLIS and Jason Ryan
The SFCP Library was established to serve the members and candidates of the San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis, and to educate other mental health professionals and the public at large on the discipline of psychoanalysis. The library collection holds books, journals and other materials for the study of psychoanalysis in theoretical, applied and clinical applications. Library services include, but are not limited to, acquisition of books.
The Library belongs to national and regional networks:
- The National Library of Medicine;
- The National California and Nevada Medical Library Group;
- San Francisco Bay Area Libraries Network;
- Northern California Consortium of Psychological Libraries;
- The Freeshare Group at the National Libary of Medicine.
Community Membership at SFCP
Community Membership is a new category of membership at SFCP established in 2008 that was created to enrich and broaden the Center by inviting psychoanalytic psychotherapists in the Bay Area to join SFCP. We welcome mental health clinicians and students of all disciplines and levels of experience into our Community Membership.